Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Mullets and Flying Sheep (sorta)

June 24, 2009

I have not written in a while, sorry about that. Things have been going well, but I just have not gotten around to writing. Nothing much is new. I have, however, seen a few things lately that have made me laugh and therefore want to share with others. As the title of this entry says, I have seen my first Moroccan mullet. It happened on a market day, and when I first saw it, I didn’t believe it. I did a double take, really. The kid’s mullet is pretty spectacular. The hair in the front is poofy but respectable. The back, however, is pretty curly and shoulder length. If the front of his hair is all business, then the back is like a giant New Year’s Eve party. I have since seen 3 or 4 more mullets. I guess since I’ve seen one and now know that the hairstyle exists in this country, I see it everywhere. If these guys are just getting haircuts they see in movies, then bad 80’s B-movies from India and the US are to blame. I have seen Rambo, Running Man, and the first 3 Superman movies in the past week, so……….
The other part of the title sort of explains something I witnessed this past weekend. I went traveling to the nearest medium size city, which is about 2 hours and 2 taxi rides away. On the first ride, the van I was in was following a little pickup truck full of sheep. One brave male sheep apparently had enough of that nonsense of being transported around in a pickup, so he had the brilliant idea of jumping out of the back of the moving vehicle. The back of this truck had a 3 or 4 foot metal cage with no top attached to the bed. The sheep did not jump high enough. His back leg caught the top of the cage which caused him to faceplant into the side of the truck and land on his back on the road. Everyone in the van I was riding in gasped and then just started saying, “oh, he’s dead, enough, he’s dead.” My van driver alerted the driver of the pickup of the escapee. A guy got out and approached the motionless sheep. When he got about 5 feet from it, the sheep popped up and took off into a field. The sheppard guy was having a lot of trouble trying to catch that probably shocked and concussed sheep. We sped off before I could see the end of the chase, so I like to think that that little escape artist evaded capture and ran to freedom in the mountains. Male sheep are pretty expensive, so I can guess who ended up the victor, and it’s not the wooly one with horns. If only he had jumped a couple inches higher, his chances would have been a lot better.
I get to start renting my own house in about 10 days, so afterwards I will definitely post some new pictures. The house will only have one window to the outside, so it’s going to be pretty dark, kind of like my own little fortress of solitude, but with a porch and roof access. Until next time.